Highlight of the Week
Pfizer Announces Vaccine Results
- Pfizer has announced the results of their COVID-19 vaccine, which showed a 90% decrease in infections.
- Pfizer says that 50 million doses could be available globally by the end of the year, and 1.3 billion by the end of 2021.
Coronavirus Updates (as of Monday Night)
- COVID-19 has registered 52.1 million cases and 1,286,341 deaths worldwide. There are over 36.5 million recovered cases.
- The US has accounted for over 10.6 million cases and has surpassed 246,000 deaths. The US has registered over 6.6 million recovered cases.
- Georgia has almost 411,000 cases and 8,730 deaths.
China Takes on Fintech Monopolies
- Liang Tao, vice chairman of the China Banking and Insurance Regulatory Commission, stated that China will be taking a closer look at Fintech companies.
- Ant, whose IPO was derailed last week by Chinese regulators, and Tencent will be the main focus of this increased scrutiny.
Biden Leads as States Recount
Joe Biden has taken the lead in several key states, and has been declared the president-elect. However, the Trump administration has not yet conceded, and is launching legal challenges as well as asking several states to recount votes. Experts say these are unlikely to be successful.