Highlight of the Week
US to Temporarily Suspend H-1B Visas
- Previously, the government had suspended issuing “green cards” for new immigrants.
- The order extends to L-1 visas, as the government aims to protect jobs in the tech industry.
Coronavirus updates (as of Monday night)
- COVID-19 has registered 9.1 million cases and 472,518 deaths worldwide. There are over 4.8 million recovered cases.
- The US has accounted for over 2.37 million cases and has surpassed 122,000 deaths. The US has registered over 988, 509 recovered cases.
- Georgia has almost 66,000 cases and 2,648 deaths.
Global stocks rise as investors cheer positive economic indicators
- Preliminary results for June surveys of American purchasing managers are expected to show that a contraction in the manufacturing / services sectors is easing.
- Countries that imposed some of the strictest lockdowns are seeing an economic rebound, but the path to recovery will likely be long and bumpy.
Common steroid shows promise in fight against COVID-19
Dexamethasone, a cheap and common steroid used to treat conditions such as arthritis, has been put into use by doctors in England to treat the most seriously ill patients. A trial at Oxford University shows that the drug may reduce the death rate of those on ventilators by as much as 30 percent.